Use of English 9
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence.
1. I haven't been to the cinema for ages.
It's _________________________ to the cinema.
2. The garage is servicing my car on Monday.
I'm ______________________________ on Monday.
3. He couldn't reach the button because it was too high.
The button was ______________________ him to reach.
4. They understand more than we do.
We don't understand___________________ them.
5. "Why don't you apply for the job, Ann?" said Sue.
Sue suggested ________________________ for the job.
6. I haven't seen him for three years.
The ____________________________ was three years ago.
7. He is extremely rich but very mean.
He is very mean _________________________ extremely rich.
8. I didn't know the answer because I hadn't read the book.
If I had read the book ________________________ the answer.
9. I don't agree with capital punishment.
I'm ______________________ capital punishment.
10 I'm sorry; I broke it by accident.
I didn't __________________________; it was an accident.
1 It's been ages since I have been to the cinema.
2 I'm having my car serviced on Monday.
3 The button was too high for him to reach.
4 We don't understand as much as them.
5 Sue suggested Ann should apply for the job.
6 The last time I saw him was three years ago.
7 He is very mean despite the fact that he is extremely rich.
8 If I had read the book I would have known the answer.
9 I'm not in favour of capital punishment.
10 I didn't break it on purpose.